QNAP® Systems, Inc. (QNAP) today officially released the QuTS hero h4.5.1 NAS operating system. Featuring numerous improvements and enhancements, QuTS hero h4.5.1 adds support for WORM (Write Once, Read Many) auto-committing, VM live migration, Wi-Fi WPA2 Enterprise, Azure Active Directory Domain Services (Azure AD DS), QuLog Center for centralized log management, and QuFirewall for network security.
QNAP’s new “QuTS hero” operating system uses the 128-bit ZFS file system that focuses on data integrity, making it perfect for business storage applications emphasizing data protection. QuTS hero also includes the App Center for expanding NAS application potential. Feature highlights of QuTS hero h4.5.1 include:
- WORM Auto-committing
WORM is used to avoid modification of saved data. Data in WORM shared folders can only be written, and cannot be deleted or modified to ensure data integrity.
- VM live migration
When NAS software/hardware must be updated/maintained, users can move running VMs between different NAS with no impact on VM availability, providing flexibility and efficiency for VM applications.
- WPA2 Enterprise
WPA2 Enterprise provides enterprise-grade wireless security for business networks (including certificate authority, encryption key, and enhanced encryption/decryption).
- Add NAS into Azure AD DS
By adding a QuTS hero NAS into Azure AD DS, IT staff are free from deploying and managing domain controller locally and have greater efficiency in managing user accounts and permissions for multiple NAS.
- QuLog Center
Provides graphical statistic rankings of error/warning events and access, assisting in quickly monitoring and responding to potential system risks. Logs from multiple QNAP NAS can be centralized to the QuLog Center on a specific NAS for efficient management.
- QuFirewall for network security
Supports IPv6, firewall access lists, and GeoIP filtering to restrict access based on geographical locations for higher network security.
More QuTS hero key features:
- Main memory read cache (L1 ARC), SSD second-level read cache (L2 ARC), and ZFS Intent Log (ZIL) for synchronous transactions with power fail protection to boost performance and security.
- Supports up to 1 petabyte storage capacity for individual shared folders.
- Supports native handling of standard RAID levels and additional ZFS RAID layouts (RAID Z), and flexible storage pool architecture. RAID Triple Parity and Triple Mirror deliver higher levels of data protection.
- Block-based inline data deduplication, compression, and compaction reduce file size to conserve storage capacity, optimize performance, and improve SSD lifespan.
- AES-NI hardware acceleration increases data signing and encryption/decryption efficiency over SMB 3.
- Supports Fibre Channel (FC) SAN on NAS with QNAP 16Gb / 32Gb FC cards, ideal for post-production storage.
- Install various apps from the App Center to enable hosting virtual machines and containers, conduct local/remote/cloud backups, create cloud storage gateways, and much more.