Xiaomi, India’s number one smartphone and smart TV brand today announced that counterfeit Xiaomi products estimated to be worth over INR 13 lacs were seized from four suppliers in Gaffar Market. As part of Xiaomi’s anti counterfeit measures, a complaint was filed with the local police, and raids were conducted in Gaffar Market in the week of November 25th. Police officers of Central District Karol Bagh Police Station along with the representatives of the company, conducted the raid where they seized over 2000+ fake Xiaomi products from four shop owners who were arrested for allegedly selling counterfeit Xiaomi products.
The raids saw the seizure of 2000+ counterfeit products including a range of mobile accessories including a few which weren’t even launched officially in India. Some of the counterfeits seized include Mi Powerbanks, Mi Neckbands, Mi Travel Adaptor with Cable, Mi Earphone Basic with Mic, Mi Wireless Headsets, Redmi Air Dots, Mi 2-in-1 USB Cable etc.
The police found out upon interrogation that the four suppliers have been managing this business for years now. These counterfeit products were allegedly sold in retail and wholesale to the customers from their retail shops: Galaxy Mobile Accessories, BCM Plaza, Shop No. 14 – Sega Market, Shop No. 2 – Lotus Plaza.
How to Identify counterfeit products of Xiaomi:
- Some products carry security codes that can be checked on mi.com to identify the authenticity of the product- eg. Mi Powerbanks
- Packaging and quality of retail box are very different. You can visit any Mi Home/ Mi Store to validate the original packaging.
- Check for the original Mi Logo on the product and you will know if that is authorized. Original logo of packaging can be seen on mi.com
- All authorized fitness products such as Mi Band(s) will have Mi Fit app compatibility.
- Original batteries will carry a sign stating it to be Li-Poly batteries – while signs like Li-ion mean that they are not Xiaomi’s
- One can identify original USB cables by Xiaomi as well from the fake ones, as the unauthorized ones are quite flimsy and break easily
Counterfeited products are not only a big threat to consumer health and safety but also pose a huge risk to consumer’s data security. The products might start malfunctioning and the user might be unaware of the hazards that these kinds of products can cause.
This episode has highlighted how counterfeiting is a menace for the business and society. Illicit suppliers and retailers attempt to seize the opportunity to cheat consumers and introduce fake products in the market. It is strictly advised to all customers to purchase authorized products from authorized Stores of the brand and partner outlets and also to be cautious and aware about purchase decisions.